Friday, August 17, 2007

Icarus

Boston Restaurant Week ends today, though a few restaurants will continue their special menus for the rest of the month. I went to Icarus this evening, a restaurant I have never denied at before. Located on Appleton Street, just off of Tremont St., it is easy to find and they have valet parking.

When you enter the restaurant, there is a small bar at the front and then a dining room, basically split in half by a divider. The room is elegant and very stylishly decorated. Definitely the type of place that would impress a date.

They had a limited menu for Restaurant Week, which is in effect until August 26, though. There were about 5-6 choices for appetizer and entree, and 3 for dessert. The menu had many interesting choices. You could also get half glasses of wine with each course for $15 more, or full glasses for $30. The wine selections were pre-chosen for each course.

I began with the Corn Chowder, Crispy Bacon and Scallops. This was a very good chowder, with smoky bacon pieces and tender scallops. My wife has the Crisp Polenta, Braised Azuluna Veal Breast, Black Truffles, and Parmesan. This was a supern dish. The veal was very tender, and had a different flavor than the veal I am used to. Azauluna veal is from milk-fed, free range calves, a more humane way. The polenta was moist and crisp and all of the flavors went very well together. I would order this as an entree. A good way to start our dinner.

I did not get the wine pairing but instead ordered a glass of the Verdad Rose. I like this wine and it was very good, and chilled properly. My wife did get the wine pairing and had a Benzinger Chardonnay. A bit oaky, my wife still enjoyed the wine.

For her entree, my wife ordered the Pan-Fried Sunburst Trout, Pecan Brown Butter, and Bright Lights Chard. Another excellent dish! A large piece of moist fish with a delicious sauce and lots of pecans. This dish came with a Cooper Mountain Pinot Noir which was a fine Pinot, more of a Burgundian wine with nice fruit on the palate.

My own entree was disappointing. I had the Roasted Berkshire Pork Loin, Corn Pudding & Watermelon Salad. There were two small slices of pork. It was ok, but nothing you could not get anywhere or even cook at home. The corn pudding was also ok, but nothing special. And the watermelon salad consisted of sweet chunks of watermelon but mixed with peanuts. That is not a good pairing. Very strange. I was hoping for a much more exciting entree.

I also had a glass of their red Sangria. It also was just ok. It had a strong alcohol flavor.

Service was excellent. Our waiter was courteous, personable and he was not overbearing or pushy.

Overall, I enjoyed this restaurant and I would return. I would not order the pork loin again, but would order any of the other dishes we had. Especially the veal.

Icarus
3 Appleton St.
Boston, MA
Phone: 617-426-1790

Icarus in Boston

No comments: