Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Spanish Vacation: Bullfight

Some photos of the bullfight we saw at La Plaza de Toros de Las Ventas. The arena was built in 1929 and is the most important bullring in the world. It has a seating capacity of about 25,000 and was nearly full when we were there.



We saw six bullfights in all, three toreadors who each fought two bulls. I certainly do no understand all the nuances of bullfighting but I did appreciate the skill and bravery of its participants. The bulls are quite large and their sharp horns pose a real danger. The toreadors seemed like dancers at times, with great poise and control.








Yes, it was a bloody spectacle at times. And that will turn some people off. Yet it is a cultural aspect of Spain, one that is greatly appreciated by many thousands of fans. I am very glad that I got to experience this aspect of Spain while I was in Madrid.

No comments: