Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Vodka & Diamonds

Wine is not the only alcoholic beverage I enjoy. Vodka is my favorite of the hard liquors and Chopin Vodka is one of my favorite premium vodkas. I enjoy it straight over ice, nicely chilled. I am also particular to Stoli Elit.

In the last few years, we have seen a proliferation of new premium vodkas on the market. And the price keeps creeping up with each new product. I just read an article in the International Herald Tribune about what might be the most expensive vodka ever. And it is produced by the same company, Polmos Siedlce, that makes Chopin.

Diaka, is a new rye-based vodka created using a patented diamond filtration process. "Diaka" is an acronym for "diamond" and "vodka." This new vodka is supposed to be available next year and it will retail for around $100 a bottle. The bottle will have Swarovzki crystals on it. There will also be a few crystals at the bottom of the inside of the bottle. The packaging is kind of gimmicky and adds to the price. I would rather a cheaper, plainer bottle.

The patented filtration process uses almost 100 diamonds, some as large as 1 carat. The diamonds are kept in special tubing where the vodka passes through. With centrifugal action, the diamonds move through the tubing and supposedly cut the vodka molecules. After that, the vodka passes through a comb filter covered by diamond flecks. The end result is that vodka is supposed to be very smooth and clear.

Would this really work? I don't know enough about the science involved to say one way or another. It does though seem very strange. Can you really cut vodka molecules?

I certainly would want to taste this vodka before I would spend $100 on a bottle. With Stoli Elit costing around $60-65, then the Diaka is not that far off. But will it pass a taste test? Does it filtration process actually make a smoother vodka? Time will tell.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ever had Reyka vodka? As you know, I am not much of a vodka drinker, but I do think the lava rock filtration they use makes a big difference in the vodka's smoothness. Diamonds? Eh... Hard to say if it's a gimmick or not. I scoffed at the lava rocks, so I won't make that mistake twice. However, the ultra-gimmicky packaging leaves me snubbing my nose. Seems a bit over-the-top to me. Would rather something more subtle so I could attempt to take it seriously.

Richard Auffrey said...

I have had Reyka and do like it, though not as much as Chopin or Stoli Elit. Reyka is smooth enough to drink straight.

Unknown said...

Vodka is one of the top favorite wine brands. people love drinking vodka wine, vodka wines are available in different flavors.
penfold wine
http://www.victoriacellars.com.au/