Thursday, December 13, 2007

Top Ten Wines Over $15

Welcome to my second Top Ten wine post. Previously, I posted my Top Ten Wine Under $15 and now it is time for my Top Ten Wines Over $15.

These are wines that during the past year I have both enjoyed very much and which I found to be particularly compelling for various reasons. They might be unique wines, excellent examples of their varietal or great values. They standout for some reason. They are not necessarily the "best" wines that I have tasted, but they are compelling for their own reasons.

Each wine on the list is linked to my more detailed review. The wines are not listed in any particular order and all are definitely worth your consideration.

1. 2003 Goldeneye Anderson Valley Pinot Noir, California ($50)
2. 2004 Cliff Lede Claret, California ($39)
3. 2003 Fort Ross Vineyard Pinotage, California ($36)
4. 2005 Sutton Cellars Carignane, California ($17)
5. 2004 Buehler Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon, California ($25)
6. 2003 Castello La Lecchia Chianti Classico ‘Bruciagna’, Italy ($30)
7. 2000 Lidakis Archanes, Greece ($18)
8. 2004 Filipa Pato Ensaios, Portugal ($25)
9. 2005 Bellum Providencia, Spain ($18)
10. 2004 KanonKop Estate Wine Pinotage, South Africa ($35)

As you can see, the make-up of this list is fairly different from my list of Top Ten Wines Under $15. California wines occupy half of this list yet there was only one California wine on the previous list. This list also contains a couple of countries, Greece and South Africa, that were not on the prior list.

I stayed away from adding more expensive wines to this list. Though I have had some exceptional wines over $50, they would be obvious choices for a Top Ten list. I wanted to provide something different, something beyond the usual choices.

I do have other recommendations for wines over $15 and you can find them by searching my blog. There are excellent wines in all countries, from all types of varietals. Seek out wines outside of your comfort zone. Seek out the unusual. Explore the multitude of diversity in the wonderful world of wine.

No comments: