Saturday, March 15, 2008

McCormick & Schmick's Seafood Restaurant

It is always a major disappointment when a restaurant that you usually enjoy serves a dinner that just does not satisfy. Unfortunately, I had such a disappointment last night.

After attending a wine auction (which I will talk about soon in another post), we stopped by McCormick & Schmick's Seafood Restaurant at the Park Plaza for a bite to eat. It was very busy, which is to be expected on a Friday evening, but we were able to get a couple seats at the bar.

Now I do enjoy McCormick & Schmick's. I generally even prefer them to Legal Seafood. I like the idea of the menu changing every day. I think they have a diverse selection of seafood and they have some creative dishes. Their lunch menu is also an excellent value. I especially like their tilapia and catfish dishes. So I was looking forward to a good meal.

I ordered the Jumbo Sea Scallops, seared, with a Saffron Risotto and Lobster Sauce ($24.95). This was one of the more pricey items on the menu. It sounded intriguing to me so I thought I would give it a try. But my plate had only three scallops on it. Only three? They had to be kidding. That certainly is an insufficient amount considering the price of the dish. The Saffron Risotto was just ok. It certainly did not impress. The lobster sauce was also ok, and there were not any chunks of lobster in it. There were a few veggies atop the rice, such as asparagus. Overall, I felt this was very overpriced and nothing special. I should have chosen the Tilapia.

We also had the Seafood Cobb Salad ($15.95), with shrimp, scallops, crab, tomato, egg, bacon and blue cheese. Now this was quite a large sized salad and very tasty. It was worth its price. But it did not make up for the disappointing Scallop dish.

2 comments:

Taster B said...

I'm sorry you had a disappointing meal last night but, I had to laugh when I saw your post. Taster A & I had a similar experience last night at an Essex restaurant and he was also inspired to post a blog about it--we had a good chuckle about the coincidence of it all. :)

Richard Auffrey said...

I just read your post and felt that same simpatico. :)