Sunday, April 20, 2008

Saké Sunday: UNLVino, Gekkeikan & Takara Saké

I skipped the table of Sidney Frank Importing as they only had Gekkeikan Saké and I am very familiar with their product line. Though I am not a fan of much of their line, I am very enthusiastic about their Gekkeikan Horin Junmai Daiginjo ($30). For the money, this is great value for a Daiginjo.

I also only made a brief stop at the Takara Saké table. Takara is located in Berkley, California, and I did visit their brewery a few years ago. Two of their major products line include Sho Chiku Bai Saké an their Hana flavored Saké line. I am familiar with much of their product line as well though they did have one Saké that I wanted to try.

The Sho Chiku Bai Junmai Nama is an organic Saké with a SMV of +5, making it dry. It had a clean flavor, was dry and refreshing. There were subtle fruit flavors with only a touch of rice tones. A good chilled Saké for a summer day. It sells for about $2.25 for a 180ml bottle so it is very inexpensive as well.

I should also note that Takara is responsible for bringing in Kissui Vodka, which I have previously reviewed and enjoyed very much.

No comments: